Principal Scientist – Chemistry
Functional Area: Research and Development
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a small chemistry team.
- Contribute expert knowledge and skills in the areas pertinent to fluorous chemistry, polymer chemistry, surface chemistry and modification, biochemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, and bioassay chemistry and materials.
- Design new and improved specialist chemical products, develop and implement effective chemical routes towards production.
- Lead and contribute to FMEA of specialist chemical products, and present findings to the wider team.
- Develop technical specifications for new products.
- Manage and support agreed projects aligned to meet the Company’s R&D strategy.
- Effective liaison with other teams of R&D department, as well as the Company’s Commercial and Operations departments.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- PhD in fluorous chemistry, polymer chemistry, biochemistry, nanomaterial and nanotechnology, or other related fields with track record of research or industrial experience in the life science sector is highly desirable.
- Experience of microfluidics is desirable.
- Experience in interacting with outsourced development partners is desirable.
Proven experience in two or more of the following areas is essential:
- Fluorous Chemistry.
- Polymer Chemistry.
- Preparation, functionalization and bioconjugation of micro- and Nano-materials (e.g., magnetic beads, nanoparticles, hydrogel beads, Janus beads, quantum dots, etc).
- Supermolecular chemistry and polymers, host-guest chemistry and complexes.
- Bioassay and cell-based bioassay development.
- Microfluidics’ interior surface modifications (e.g., hydrophilic, hydrophobic, superhydrophobic, fluorous, etc).
- Chemical vapour deposition (CVD).
- Proven leadership skills.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work and deliver tasks within a set timeline
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic, collaborative and exhibit excellent communication skills.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including a competitive salary; employee share options; 4x life insurance and auto enrolled in an Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in Cambridge, UK.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter to: