Sphere Fluidics is an established Life Science company which provides instruments and specialist consumables for the global pharmaceutical and academic research community. The company has recently raised £26M in investment. We are growing quickly and have impressive plans requiring new and exciting skill-sets and global capabilities to support this period of growth.
The R&D department is now looking to recruit a Senior Scientist to join R&D team working on the research and development of novel materials, new workflows and cell detection/sensing approaches for cell-based applications. The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team on a range of exciting and leading-edge projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a small team.
- Contribute expert knowledge and skills in areas pertinent to microdroplet technology and applications.
- Develop and implement novel materials and reagents, derivatives of various forms of microdroplets, and new workflows into Sphere picodroplet microfluidic systems and products.
- Effective liaison across all R&D teams, as well as the Company Commercial and Operation departments.
- Manage and support agreed projects aligned to meet the Company’s R&D strategy and needs.
- Develop technical specifications for new products.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- PhD in materials science, nanotechnology, engineering, biochemistry, cell biology, immunobiology, or other related fields with minimum 3 years of post-PhD track record of research or industrial experience.
- Strong background in physics, mechanical engineering, mass spectrometry, impedance spectroscopy is advantageous.
Proven experience in two or more of the following areas is essential:
- Microfluidics, acousto-fluidics or opto-fluidics, micro-magnetofluidics.
- Mass spectroscopy, impedance, image analysis, cyclic voltammetry, NMR spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy related to biomolecule detection and screening.
- Lipid chemistry and application including synthesis of lipid vesicles/nanoparticles, functionalization with biomolecules, drug encapsulation and screening etc.
- Real-time microdroplet imaging and high throughput processing and analysis using microscopy.
- On-chip cell imaging and manipulation techniques including acousto-force microscopy, micro-rheology, magneto-twisting cytometry, nano/micro particle tracking, micro-plate stretching etc.
- Miniaturized electrode design on flexible substrates by printing or other techniques.
- Knowledge in cell-based assay techniques (spheroid/organoid on a chip, microbead-based tissue scaffolds, drug testing etc) is desirable.
- Knowledge of medicinal chemistry and related compounds including silicone oils, herbal extracts and their application to cell therapies.
- Experience in microdroplet generation, double emulsion, fluid dynamics is desirable but not essential.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Effective communication and presentation skills are essential.
- Ability to work and deliver tasks within a set timeline is essential.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively is essential.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic, collaborative and exhibit excellent communication skills.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- Employee Share Options (EMI Scheme).
- Company pension scheme with Aviva (employer contributes 8%).
- 4x Life Insurance & Critical Illness Cover.
- Private Medical Insurance with Vitality.
- Health Cash Plan.
- Group Income Protection.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Learning & Development opportunities for career growth.
- Long Service bonus – up to 5 extra days holiday.
- Recruitment referral scheme (£1,000).
- Flexible working hours to support work-life balance.
Sphere Fluidics strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Our policy is to recruit a diverse workforce and follow the guidelines of the Equality Act.