Mechanical Design Engineer – Manufacturing
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer – Manufacturing
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
- Functional Area: Research & Development
Sphere Fluidics is an established Life Science company which provides instruments and specialist consumables for the global pharmaceutical and academic research community. The company has recently raised £26MM in investment. We are growing quickly and have impressive plans requiring new and exciting skill-sets and global capabilities to support this period of growth.
We are seeking a versatile Mechanical Engineer to contribute to the design, development and manufacture of scientific instruments. Working within the Research & Development team, you will be the technical expert responsible for controlling the design information issue to manufacturing partners.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop designs from concept to detailed solutions, with particular attention to design for manufacture and assembly
- Progress prototype designs into well documented manufacturing information packs
- Create and maintain engineering product data, BOM structures and assembly test procedures
- Manage the engineering change process for existing products
- Maintain design control of outsourced manufacture
- Liaise with the operations team and manufacturing partners to enable timely delivery of parts and assemblies to specification
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Degree / HND in mechanical engineering or similar
- 3D CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred)
- Understanding of CAD drafting and tolerancing (BS 8888, GPS/GD&T)
- Good understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals and material selection criteria
Advantageous Skills & Experience
- Experience of product development in a high technology industry
- Knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing techniques
- Good knowledge of Excel including VBA, and/or experience with ERP/MRP systems
- Experience of instrument or laboratory equipment design and manufacture, including: Optics, Miniature fluidics, Pneumatics, Electrics, Thermal control, Enclosures
- Strong organisational ability, with an eye for detail
- Good communication and problem-solving skills
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including a competitive salary; employee share options; 4x life insurance and auto enrolled in an Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development.
Sphere Fluidics strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Our policy is to recruit a diverse workforce and follow the guidelines of the Equality Act.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “Mechanical Design Engineer – Manufacturing” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com