Principal Scientist – Chemistry
Job Title: Principal Scientist – Chemistry
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
Sphere Fluidics Limited is a rapidly growing Life Sciences company based in Cambridge, UK. The company is developing innovative engineering solutions and chemistries for use in novel microfluidic-based instruments for single cell characterization and selection.
The R&D team is now looking to recruit a Principal Scientist to join the research and development of new chemical entities for use internally and for customer related projects. The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team on a range of exciting and leading-edge projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a small chemistry team.
- Contribute expert knowledge and skills in areas pertinent to fluorous chemistry, polymer chemistry, and fluorination of solid substrate surface.
- Design new and improved fluorinated specialist chemical products, develop and implement effective chemical routes towards production.
- Lead and contribute to FMEA of specialist chemical products, and present findings to the wider team.
- Develop technical specifications for new products.
- Manage and support agreed projects aligned to meet the Company’s R&D strategy.
- Effective liaison with R&D teams, as well as the Company’s Commercial and Operation departments.
Required Skills and Experience:
- PhD in fluorous chemistry or polymer chemistry or both with industrial experience in life science is highly desirable.
- Proven experience in one or multiple of the following areas is essential: Fluorous Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Organic Synthesis, Fluorinated polymeric surfactant design & synthesis, Synthesis, analysis and purification of organic building block chemicals, Fluorination of solid substrate surface.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication and presentation skills are essential.
- Experience in interacting with outsourced development partners.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively is essential.
- Ability to work within a set timeline and deliver tasks accordingly is essential.
- Knowledge in Statistical Design of Experiments is desirable.
- Experience of microfluidics is desirable, but not essential.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic, collaborative and exhibit excellent communication skills.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including a competitive salary; employee share options; 4x life insurance and auto enrolled in an Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in Cambridge, UK.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “Principal Scientist – Chemistry” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com