Principal Scientist – Microfluidics
Job Title: Principal Scientist – Microfluidics
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
Sphere Fluidics Limited is a rapidly growing Life Sciences company based in Cambridge, UK. The company is developing innovative engineering solutions and chemistries for use in novel microfluidic-based instruments for single cell characterization and selection.
The R&D team is now looking to recruit a Principal Scientist to lead the research and development of microfluidic chips for use internally and for customer related projects. The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team on a range of exciting and leading-edge projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a small microfluidic team.
- Contribute expert knowledge and skills in areas pertinent to microfluidic chip design and manufacturing.
- Develop new fabrication and assembly methods for microfluidic devices.
- Devise and organize validation and verification tests on microfluidic devices.
- Troubleshoot microfluidic device failure, organize and conduct FMEA, and present information to the wider team.
- Develop and implement improvements to Sphere picodroplet microfluidic devices.
- Develop technical specifications for specific products.
- Manage and support agreed projects aligned with the Company needs.
- Effective liaison with R&D teams, as well as the Company Commercial and Operation departments.
Required Skills and Experience:
- PhD in life sciences or engineering with industrial experience is highly desirable.
- Proven experience in one or multiple of the following areas is essential.
- Soft lithography for PDMS microfluidic chip fabrication
- Plastic microfluidic device fabrication and assembly process.
- Hot embossing.
- Laser cutting or etching.
- Experience with 3D CAD for photomask design and mould design is essential.
- Experience with MEMS devices or microfluidics.
- Knowledge and/or experience in droplet microfluidics, project management, automation and high-throughput screening are desirable.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Experience in interacting with outsourced development partners.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively is essential.
- The ability to work within a set timeline and deliver tasks accordingly is required.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills.
All employees are given a competitive salary, plus benefits including company share options, life insurance, pension scheme and relocation allowance.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “Principal Scientist – Microfluidics” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com