Senior Mechanical Design Engineer – Development
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer – Development
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
- Functional Area: Research & Development
Sphere Fluidics is an established Life Science company which provides instruments and specialist consumables for the global pharmaceutical and academic research community. The company has recently raised £26MM in investment. We are growing quickly and have impressive plans requiring new and exciting skill-sets and global capabilities to support this period of growth.
We are seeking a skilled and versatile Mechanical Design Engineer to contribute to the design and development of new scientific instruments. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary development team that design, prototype, test and transfer into manufacture unique life science instruments.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop designs from concept to detailed solutions through to manufacture
- Use your technical knowledge to create design solutions to precise and challenging mechanical requirements
- Present ideas through sketches and rendered models
- Source prototype parts and liaise with suppliers
- Assemble and test prototypes
- Create and maintain design documentation
- Manage your own time and deliver design work to project schedules
The core role is mechanical design covering the whole design lifecycle, from concept to prototype build and test to managing production of finished instruments.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Degree / HND in mechanical engineering or similar
- Comprehensive SolidWorks experience
- Good familiarity with SolidWorks PDM
- Experience of product development in a high technology industry
- Practice in design using a wide range of manufacturing techniques from sheet metal fabrication to injection moulding
- Experience of rapid prototyping for design validation and finished parts
Advantageous Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience of instrument or laboratory equipment design including: Optics, Miniature fluidics, Pneumatics, Electrics, Thermal control, Enclosures
- Hands-on ability to build, test and troubleshoot
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including a competitive salary; employee share options; 4x life insurance and auto enrolled in an Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development.
Sphere Fluidics strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Our policy is to recruit a diverse workforce and follow the guidelines of the Equality Act.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “Senior Mechanical Design Engineer – Development ” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com