Senior Scientist – Mass Spectrometry
Job Title: Senior Scientist – Mass Spectrometry
- Functional Area: Chemistry
- Salary Range: Up to £45,000 per annum
- Reports to: Director of Chemistry
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
Sphere Fluidics is an established Life Science company which provides instruments and specialist consumables for the global pharmaceutical and academic research community. The company has recently raised £26M in investment. We are growing quickly and have impressive plans requiring new and exciting skill-sets and global capabilities to support this period of growth.
We are now looking to recruit a Senior Scientist to join the R&D team working on the productization project of our mass spectrometry (MS) picodroplet microfluidic system (Spectra-Mine®). The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team, and also have opportunities working on a range of other leading-edge projects, and customer projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in a small team with MS, microfluidics and engineering expertise.
- Contribute expert knowledge and skills in areas pertinent to MS and microfluidics.
- Develop new microfluidic solutions interfacing to mass spectrometer systems.
- Devise and carry out validation and verification tests on Spectra-Mine® systems.
- Develop and implement improvements to Spectra-Mine® systems and microfluidic devices.
- Refine technical specifications for Spectra-Mine® products.
- Manage and support agreed projects (internal and customer) aligned with the Company needs.
- Effective liaison with R&D teams, as well as the Company Commercial and Operation departments.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in life sciences or engineering with industrial experience is highly desirable.
- In-depth understanding about mass spectrometer systems and hand-on skills in operating different models of mass spectrometers are essential.
- Microfluidics design and prototyping experience is desirable.
- Experience in soft lithography for PDMS microfluidic chip fabrication is advantageous.
- Experience with 2D/3D CAD for photomask design is desirable.
- Knowledge and/or experience in droplet microfluidics, project management, automation and high-throughput screening are desirable.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills is essential.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively is essential.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- The ability to work within a set timeline and deliver tasks accordingly is required.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including a competitive salary; employee share options; 4x life insurance and auto enrolled in an Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development.
Sphere Fluidics strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Our policy is to recruit a diverse workforce and follow the guidelines of the Equality Act.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “Senior Scientist – Mass Spectrometry” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com