Senior Service Engineer
Job Title: Senior Service Engineer
- Location: Cambridge (UK)
- Job Type: Full-time | Permanent
Are you passionate about making a difference and providing professional service at a high level within the Life Science segment? If so, you might be the person we’re looking for.
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences Instrumentation company. As a result of our continuing growth, we now have an immediate opening for a Senior Service Engineer to join our business in Cambridge UK, on a permanent basis.
The Senior Service Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on our laboratory based research platforms and Cyto-Mine® system. This will included installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Sphere Fluidics Ltd. in customer laboratories.
You will become a part of a Service team serving Sphere Fluidics’ customers internationally. You will be based at our Headquarters in Babraham, with up to 50% travel globally.
You will have responsibility for ensuring Sphere Fluidics’ equipment is working at its highest possible quality level and is satisfying customer requirements. Responsible for developing and improving all processes and procedures that directly impact service resolution and responsiveness. Responsible for equipment installation and equipment repair efficiency, preventive maintenance compliance, field resolution and system upgrades. With company growth, there will be opportunity for the right candidate to expand the role to encompass people
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of Sphere Fluidics’ systems, in compliance with internal and customer procedures and regulations.
- Installing, repairing, maintenance and instruction of use of instruments to ensure safe and effective customer operations.
- Providing professional and responsive customer support (on-site or remotely) to ensure that the installed instrumentation base is working and maintained reliably and customers are supported in a timely and friendly manner.
- Input into user manual creation and update.
- Review reports and documentation from customers, and inspects malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem.
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs.
- Analyse reports of technical problems to recommend modifications to eliminate future problems.
- Provide a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer.
- Develop and conduct training on the safe operation of the equipment and demonstrate skills to trainees, including both team members and customers.
- Maintain and update the Service Database with all service interactions to enable traceability of work carried out and revision of instruments.
- Generate and update technical documentation for internal and external use as the product develops.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years hands-on experience as a Service Engineer is preferred, particularly working with laboratory instrumentation or 5+ years relevant industry/laboratory experience.
- HND or Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Science or related field (preferred but not essential).
- Working knowledge of: electronics, optics, microfluidics, laser alignment, pneumatics and control systems is required.
- Ability to read and understand technical procedures, wiring schematics and engineering drawings.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to establish good customer rapport, write reports and to present to clients in a professional manner.
- Fluent in English.
- Candidates must hold a full international driving licence and passport and be able to pass a CRB and extensive reference check in order to gain access to regional airports.
Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills.
- Required to work independently within a customer location (25-50% of the time).
- Extensive walking/standing may be required for 50-75% of the day during servicing/installation days.
- Must possess motor skills appropriate to the task.
- Ability to safely lift 25kg with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Ability to use material handling equipment such as push carts and pallet jacks.
- May be required to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (e.g. lab coats, coveralls, nitrile gloves, safety glasses).
- Hold a valid full driving licence and maintain a safe driving record.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and auto enrolled in to the Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in or around Cambridge, UK, when not attending Customer sites.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please e-mail your CV with a one-page covering letter including “ Senior Service Engineer” in the title to: Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com